June 16, 2009

The Main Question

There are varied themes and topics on my blog, but to me the main issue and the most important question in life is this: “What’s my relationship to God, or with God?” It doesn’t matter so much if people love you or hate you, if you are rich or poor, if you are famous or unknown. Jesus said the main question He will ask us when we pass on to the next life is this "Do I know You?" (Matthew 7.23) And so the main question isn't whether or not we know about God, but whether we know Him in a personal sense.

Jesus highlighted the importance of this personal, spiritual connection with Him when he spoke to Nicodemus. “In reply Jesus declared, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’” (John 3.3, NIV)

There are varied themes and topics on my blog but to me the main issue and the most important question in life is this: “What’s my relationship to God, or with God?” It doesn’t matter so much if people love you or hate you, if you are rich or poor, if you are famous or unknown. Jesus highlighted the importance of this question when he spoke to Nicodemus. “In reply Jesus declared, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’” (John 3.3, NIV)

What does it mean to be “born again?” Jesus went on to clarify: “Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." (John 3.6-8)

According to the Bible, it’s not enough to merely believe that God exists, “even the demons believe that and tremble with fear.” (James 2.19) Many people believe they are going to heaven simply because they go to church on Sundays, or Easter, or Christmas, not so. Scripture shows there must be a personal transformation. I Peter 1.23 shows that we are “born again, not by a seed that perishes but by one that cannot perish-by the living and everlasting word of God.” As Jesus was talking to Nicodemus, Jesus explained the basic gospel message:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.” (John 3.16-18) The main meaning of life is to know God, this is to experience eternal life and taste heaven here and now. (John 17.3)

To believe in God and His word means that you believe that Christ died for you personally. Saving faith means that you have personally received God’s gift of eternal life offered through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and demonstrated through His resurrection. If you have never made this decision before and are sincere in your desire to live for God, you can pray for this right now wherever you are: “Lord, I thank you for dying on the cross for my sins to give me the gift of eternal life. I thank you for this and receive you right now as my Savior and Lord, amen.” If you prayed this prayer, please let me know. I’d love to hear about it and I’d like to help you grow as a new believer. If you have any questions or comments or want to debate the issue, I’d also be interested in your feedback.

Tags: What is the most important question in life? What is the meaning of life? Is life meaningful? Does life have an ultimate purpose?

Related

Knowing God

Is Salvation by Faith + Works?

The Organizing Principle of the Universe: Hierarchy and the Central Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to post on-topic comments but, please, no uncivilized blog abuse or spamming. Thank you!